Print E-mail

The Student Employment Program is designed to…

Give you an opportunity for part-time employment while attending BRCC
And that part-time employment offers…...

  • Flexible schedule around your classes
  • Convenient work locations
  • Chance to enhance your work experience
  • Pleasant work environment
  • Opportunity to develop your interpersonal skills

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a need based financial aid award. It is a federally funded, college administered program, designed to help students defray the costs of post-secondary education.

A FWS award cannot be used to meet registration fees. You are paid for hours worked, based on time submitted by your department through the college payroll system. You are eligible to work up to the point that your cumulative earnings equal the amount of your FWS award. It is the responsibility of both the student and the hiring department to monitor earnings to prevent working beyond the awarded amount.

All FWS recipients must be enrolled in at least part-time (6 Credit Hours) hours. You must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and other possible required documentation.

How do I apply?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Complete the Student Employment Application (attachment below) after work-study funds have been awarded. Check your LOLA account for updates.

Where will I be working?

Various departments hire FWS recipients. Actual placement depends on your skills and interests, and the needs of the departments. Job responsibilities can range from general office duties to computer work. If you have not been awarded FWS but are interested in the program, contact the Financial Aid Office.

How many hours a week do I work?

You may work up to 20 hours per week depending on your work-study award.

Where do I get my check?

Students will be paid bi-monthly. The first paycheck is available after the student has worked for one month which is paper check. After that work-study earnings are direct deposited in a checking or savings account.

What is my rate of pay?

The rate of pay is determined by the prevailing minimum wage rate.

Do I have to reapply every year?

Yes. A FWS award is made for one academic year only and you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and other required documents each year to be awarded.