1. What is the Purpose of Form 1098T?
Form 1098T is used as a guide in the preparation of your taxes. Its purpose is to assist you in determining whether you are eligible for an education tax credit. The 1098T is informational; you are not required to attach IRS Form 1098T to your return.
2. I disagree with the data reported on my Form 1098T. Whom should I contact to correct this condition?
Please call ECSI at 1-866-428-1098,
3. I did not receive a 1098T form. Whom should I contact to request one?
If the amount of scholarships or grants you received in the calendar year is greater than or equal to your qualified tuition expenses, a 1098T will not be issued on your behalf. If you do not have a valid social security number, a 1098T was not issued. Please see Question 5 for information on updating your social security number.
Log into www.ecsi.net/myacct to download and print your 1098T. You will need your pin to login online. If you do not yet have a pin, please follow the instructions under View Login Credentials to obtain this information or contact ECSI at 1-866-428-1098 or
to obtain a new pin.
4. I lost my 1098T form. How do I get another?
Log into https://www.ecsi.net/myacct to download and print your 1098T.
5. Whom do I contact if the Social Security Number on my Form 1098T is missing or incorrect?
To update your SSN, please contact Baton Rouge Community College’s office of Admissions at 1-877-. If you do not have access to a scanner to deliver the documents electronically, you may drop them off at the One Stop in the MTCC room 106.
7. Was my financial information reported to the IRS?
If you were able to download your Form 1098T electronically and/or received a paper Form 1098T in the mail, your financial information was reported to the IRS.
8. Can I claim payments made in this calendar year towards qualified tuition and expenses for classes beginning in next calendar year
No. Baton Rouge Community College reports qualified tuition expenses not payments received.
9. What information was reported in Boxes 2 and 5 of my Form 1098T?
• Box 2- This box will contain the sum of all qualified tuition and related expenses billed to a student during a calendar year.
• Box 5- This box contains the sum of all scholarships and grants the Baton Rouge Community College administered and processed for the student during the calendar year. Scholarships that pay for tuition (qualified scholarships) and other expenses (non-qualified scholarships) will be included in this amount. Tuition waivers and exemptions and payments received from third parties that are applied to student accounts for educational expenses are included in this box.
10. I attended last spring so why did I not get a 1098-T form this year?
If you attended in the spring semester last year, you may need to reprint last year’s 1098-T form. Students are billed for the spring semester as early as November. Depending on the date of enrollment, the charges may have been included on the previous years 1098-T.
11. How is my Financial Aid Reported?
Financial aid, including scholarships and/or grants, is only reported when it is not expected to be paid back by the student. Similar to tuition and other applicable charges, financial aid is reported on your 1098-T according to the calendar year that is was posted to your account, not necessarily the year it was applied or refunded.
12. How do I know if I qualify for an education tax credit or deduction, and how do I claim it if I qualify?
The college cannot advise students on the preparation of their tax return. Information for calculating a credit or deduction can be found in IRS Publication 970 "Tax Benefits for Education” located at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf
As a reminder, 1098-T forms will NOT be generated for students whose scholarships/grants totals (Box 5) is greater or equal to the total amount billed for eligible charges (Box 2).