Home / Program for Successful Employment (PSE)
PSE is a two year program that runs through four semesters. Each group that starts will stay together as a cohort. Each cohort will occupy a time slot during the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Upon acceptance into PSE, all students are on a probationary status until the successful completion of one semester. Students will be evaluated not only as a student, but also as a prospective employee. Classroom and jobsite experiences should be considered a “long-term interview.” Upon completion of PSE, graduates will receive a PSE Certificate of Employability with a specific concentration based on their career goals.
PSE industry partners are ARC of Baton Rouge, ARC of East Ascension, LRS, Families Helping Families, Gateway Transitions, State Independent Living Council, LSU-New Orleans, Capital Area Services (DHH), and East Baton Rouge Parish Schools.
Classes will be offered during the fall, spring and summer.
To be eligible to join a PSE cohort, the applicant must:
- Be between the ages 18 and 26 years of age
- Have completed a high school or learning resource program
- Have a documented diagnosis of an intellectual disability and/or autism
- Have basic safety awareness in an unsupervised setting
- Must express, verbally or in writing, a desire for paid employment
- Strong positive behavior conducive to a classroom or workplace setting
- Read at or above a fourth grade reading level, based on the TABE or equivalent
- Be able to commit to a two-year college certificate program and meet the requirements of the program
- Have experience in attending and participating in classes for up to 90 minutes at a time
- Be able to navigate a college campus independently and manage self-care
- Be able and willing to learn and participate in inclusive classroom and work settings
- Be able to follow the Baton Rouge Community College Student Standard of Conduct